If you serve a mission faithfully and well, you will be a better husband, you will be a better father, you will be a better student, a better worker in your chosen vocation. Love is of the essence of this missionary work. Selflessness is of its very nature. Self-discipline is its requirement. Prayer opens its reservoir of power. ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Earthquake hits Haiti

Yesterday there was a 7.0 quake that hit Haiti in Puerto Principe the capital of Haiti. Jesse is close to the border of Haiti so I was very worried about him. We received an email last night from his mission president saying all missionaries are ok and accounted for. I got a email from Jesse today telling of his experience, his first earthquake and I think it shook him up a little. We are just glad he is OK and are praying for those in Haiti.






Well i was pretty shook up yesterday at about 5:30 when i was teaching a lesson and my seat started shaking, i thought it was one of the little girls pushing it, then i looked and there was no one there, so i looked outside and the street poles were shaking back and forth and my comp yells, the earth is shaking! we ran outside, cause the houses here are not made very well, and the whole world was outside freaking out and screaming. It lasted for about 2 minutes and there were 2 aftershocks. It was very scary, my first experience with an earthquake in my life. Well the news on that is that it happened in Puerto Principe the capital of Haiti, along with many buildings that went down, a hospital went down and some schools and they say over 100,000 dead and about 3,000,000 affected! its all everyone talks about, people here are devastated. Haiti is so corrupt, with all its witchcraft and apostasy, i think someone upstairs is trying to get them to repent and change, it happened all throughout the Book of Mormon, so why not now! but I'm glad I'm OK and all the missionaries here are to.

Besides all of that, my week has been alright. I'm struggling pretty bad with my new comp. he wasn't all that like i thought he is, he has some problems following the rules and its really annoying. Its not just affecting him, but me as well. I already have sat down and talked with him with the zone leaders, but it doesn't seem to be working, please pray for me to have patience and the spirit, thanks.

Well on good news, FINALLY, we are traveling to Santiago Friday afternoon to spend the night in the mission home, and on Saturday we have a conference wit the whole mission and ELDER BEDNAR will be speaking to us! I'm so excited and cant wait to learn from this man! the whole mission is doing a fast on Thursday so we can be super prepared. so that will be really fun.

I put 3 baptismal dates this week all for the 7th of February, so were really excited and receiving lots of references from the members. I think this might be my last transfer here because i talked o the zone leaders, i told them i have 1 year and almost 6 months in the mission and have never been in Santiago, so they are going to talk with President, so am i, next week in interviews to get me over there. I only have 4 more transfers left and i want to die in Puerto Plata, so i want 3 good transfers in Santiago.

Well that's about all, sounds like you guys are doing very well over there in the United States! i hope its not raining on you guys, because here it has rained like the last 21 days out of 27 or something like that, I'm sick of it and never want to see it again the rest of my life, i have not played basketball for like a month. I want to play so bad. well take care with everything there and i will talk to you next week! you guys are amazing your in my prayers and i hope I'm in yours! Please pray for the people of Haiti and there family's all there family also, and keep reading the book of Mormon. i love you all very much!

love Elder Westergard

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed